Tuesday, March 26, 2013

The Weight of the Cross

10 Days to the Cross:  Day 7 

Today's guest post is from Jeff Pitts


The Weight of the Cross
32 As they were going out, they met a man from Cyrene, named Simon, and they forced him to carry the cross. Matthew 27:32
Was it just a case of wrong place at the wrong time? Or quite possibly it was a divine place in God’s time.  Either way, a man named Simon from the region of Cyrene surely in town for the festivities of the Passover became the bearer of the cross of Jesus. 
My imagination takes me to Simon in a church meeting some time later with possibly one of the disciples or a disciple of one of the disciples. The teaching of that particular day is of the time Jesus said “pick up your cross daily and follow me.”  Simon slowly raises his hand and says “I did that.”  Surely with a quizzical look the teacher asks Simon what he means.   He repeats “I took up the cross of Christ…and it was heavy.”
Outside of Jesus, Simon may be the only other person who knows the actual weight of the cross of Christ.  But the charge from Christ was for us to take it up every day.  The cross is not as light as the one on the gold chain around our necks.  It does not lay lightly like the one stitched into the throw blanket on the end of the bed.  The cross is challenging, difficult and at times extremely heavy. 
This brings me to this statement of Jesus “For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.” The weight of daily taking the heavy cross that Jesus references as light seems like a contradiction.  Here is why it is not.  While Simon carried the cross, Christ hung on it.  He took the crown, He took the nails, He took the cross.  This one act makes something incredibly heavy, light for you and me.  Because he went to cross paid the price for you and me, for all of our sins, the weight of the cross becomes something we can carry.

No comments: